November 6, 2010

Weekend Update: Sicky, Quilty, Tomatoey

Oh hello there! I (Ally) am under the weather with a little cold, so the weekend plans are a day off while I rest up. Just kidding (I am incapable of resting when I'm sick). Instead, I started the makings of a thrifty Christmas gift for Mike's nana- a lap quilt. She's in a wheelchair and, at the age of 90, she gets a little chilly while she's out and about.



For about $4 at Jo-Ann Fabrics, I picked up some 18'x21' fabric quarters in a bunch of punchy, fun colors. I cut them into equal squares and sewed blocks of 4 squares until the quilt was big enough to generously cover Nana's lap, but not drag onto the floor or get stuck in a wheel.

It took me 2 hours, so far. I need to add some quilt batting and the flannel backing and then quilt the whole thing together. So, for about $10 bucks, I made a really cool gift for a really cool lady. (Sorry for the photo quality- our regular camera battery is on the fritz).



Onward.

After all that craftiness, I got a hankering for some good, simple comfort food. So...what did I make whilst on my sick bed?



Yes, that's right. I made homemade pasta. Like I said before, I'm not very good at being sick. I used Smitten Kitchen's pasta recipe:

4 cups all purpose flour

3 eggs

tsp of salt

4 tbsb water

Mix- rest for an hour under cover (I just tipped the bowl in which I mixed it over). Run through your pasta machine and cut. Really, it's not so hard to do and yields AMAZINGLY light and tasty pasta.

I threw together a pot of Marcella Hazan's amaaaazing tomato sauce while I rested the dough and cleaned up the fabric explosion in my apartment. Guys:


Take a can of tomatoes (28 oz.), throw in a peeled, halved onion, add a half stick of butter and a little salt. Simmer this on your stove for 45 minutes. Spoon onto your pasta and die. Seriously. You have NO idea how good this tastes until you try it. So...try it. Right now. Stop reading and go make this sauce. You'll thank me.


Forgive the lack of finished photo. Give a girl a break- I'm sick, remember???


Have a happy weekend! -TWS


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ally It is great to see I have one Grandaughter who is interested in Quilting .Did you do it by hand or do you have a machine ? Let me know Id love to help contribute to your fabric stash. Hope you feel better soon Love you; Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gram! It's my first one, so it's not nearly as perfect as I wish it was :) I used a machine, and it certainly speeds things up!!! Thanks, hope we see you soon! Xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Leave Us Some Tiny Love!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...