November 12, 2010

Tiny Holidays: Gobble Gobble Edition

Exciting news here at Tiny Wallet Style!!! Mike and I are cooking Thanksgiving Dinner for his family this year! This is particularly exciting because we've never cooked a whole Turkey Day meal before- only bits and pieces that we've brought to someone else's feast. Naturally, I've been planning and reading food blogs and trying to figure out what the most epic menu will be.

Our turkey will NOT look as good as Martha's, but that is okay with us. If you follow the link, you can get turkey tips and recipes from the Queen of Thanksgiving herself.

Back to the menu...I think (subject to change) that I've got it!

  • I love the idea of this yummy squash salad from Apartment Therapy's The Kitchn.




I'm trying it out tonight at a dinner party, so if it gets good reviews it will go on the menu! I'll update with our dinner party menu this weekend!

  • We pretty much always make mashed potatoes with Alton Brown's recipe. It's creamy and the garlic adds another layer of flavor. 10 steps up from your normal mashed spud. Mmm.




  • We will make The Pioneer Woman's Green Bean Casserole, which looks ridiculously delicious and completely different from your back-of-the-can recipe.

  • Simply Recipes' Cranberry Sauce is simple and delicious- I add some cloves and orange peel.




  • Lastly, I'm smitten with The Pioneer Woman's rolls, so they are going on the menu, too. They are SO easy to make and super delicious. 


Boston.com has a good article from last year on how to keep Thanksgiving affordable, even for a large group.

I would add to that to consider a pot luck- once guests RSVP, assign dishes or let them know what you need and let them volunteer. That takes the pressure (and the cost) off of you. Make sure you add to the list in wine, dessert, etc for friends/family who don't cook!

What are you making/bringing to Thanksgiving this year? What are your favorite recipes from years past?

3 comments:

  1. I have brought a pumpkin cheesecake with carmel sauce to Matt's family Thanksgiving for the past two years. I never get to try any but I always get the plate back completly empty and with rave reviews! It's now ASSUMED this is what I will bring which is fine by me! As long as everyone is happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about stuffing? I use the bag stuff with chicken stock, celery and a can of whole cranberries - yum! Glad you are making a non microwave turkey for the fam.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call, Julie. That stuffing recipe sounds wonderful. And, yes, The Simons family will experience a slow-cooked, oven-roasted turkey this Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Us Some Tiny Love!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...