February 14, 2011

Quickie Dinner (or Breakfast): Sweet Potato Hash

So for our weekly brunch, I had every intention of making Smitten Kitchen's homemade pop tarts. After a night out and a late wake up on Sunday morning, those intentions changed. I needed to throw something together that was quick, easy and delicious. Sadly for me, I neglected the grocery shopping this week so I had few options. No eggs, so fritatta is out. No bread, so french toast is a no-go. 


Then I saw a big old bag of sweet potatoes and my wheels got to turning. I've made a sweet potato hash before, but the last time I didn't add much spice to it. Just traditional onion, garlic and some salt. This time, I was craving heat so we pumped up the flavor with some curry power, chili powder, cumin and paprika. 


These would be amazing topped with a poached egg and alongside a nice green salad with a simple vinaigrette for dinner (or brunch!)


(Alas, no photos- we were in a rush! Sorry)


Curried Sweet Potato Hash


1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tbsp. curry powder (we used muchi curry, but feel free to experiment)
5 oz. baby bella mushrooms, washed and chopped (use any mushroom you have)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
2 tsp. cumin 


Set a pot of water to boil. Add in sweet potatoes and cook until JUST soft (do not overcook them or they'll turn to mush). In another pan, melt 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add in onion and garlic, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Toss in the mushrooms and saute for another few minutes.  Add in spices. Drain the potatoes and toss them into the pan. Stir to combine, adding a little water from the potato pan if it's too dry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Us Some Tiny Love!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...